Find a way to declutter your child’s playroom or your tool shed with this awesome DIY shelf. It’s not only easy to make, but also inexpensive! Ana White shares with us this awesome home organizing hack that’ll surely keep your knick knacks in order.
Easy and Inexpensive Customizable DIY Shelf Project
Declutter Your Knick Knacks With This Customizable DIY Shelf Project
The idea of this DIY Inexpensive Wood Shelving is very simple and provides a steady and stable shelf that’s easily customizable. In addition, you get to arrange items on an open shelf in a systematic order to effortlessly locate what you need. Go get your tools and start making your very own wood shelf for an organized home!
- Speed square
- Tape Measure
- Wood screws
- 12 strips 2×4 construction wood (about 14 inches in length)
- 8 strips 1×4 construction wood for the legs
- 9 strips 1×4 construction wood for shelving (about 9 ft in length)
- Wood strips are already precut but if you feel a little adventurous and want to fully customize this project, feel free to cut the wood to your desired dimensions!
- Don’t know where to buy the wood? Chelsea Lumber provides premium quality lumber that’ll be perfect for your DIY project.
Step 1: Assemble The Legs
Start by assembling the legs and fastening the top and bottom supports 3/4 inch from the edge. This will give elevation for the bottom part and enough room for the top shelving.
Step 2: Screw The Pieces Together
Put the third 2×4 strip in the middle and secure with a couple of screws. Do this three more times and you have the legs for your DIY shelf.
Step 3: Add The Shelving
Start adding the shelving on top of the 2×4 strips of wood. Be sure to place the legs at about 3 ft apart from each other to adequately support the shelving.
Step 4: Stabilize With A Brace
The final step is to place a cross bracing. This keeps the shelf steady in place. Moreover, this provides additional sturdiness and keeps the shelf from moving sideways.
- If you want to be able to put small things on the shelf and keep them from falling, place the wood planks closer to each other or use wider pieces of wood.
- Finish with a coat of varnish or paint to lengthen the lifespan of your shelf. This makes the shelf look better and protects it from water, humidity, and termites.
Watch the full video tutorial here on how to make a DIY inexpensive wood shelving!
This project is so customizable that you could use different lengths of shelving strips. You can even add more layers to the shelf! Home organizing couldn’t get simpler! Make your own unique design and apply your creativity and keep organizing those cluttered items in the room.
To become an expert at organizing, Click this link here now!
Like this? You’ll also like…
Featured Image via alightdelight